Tuesday, November 22, 2011
11/22/2011 02:49:00 PM SgtJim No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome
New York Police Department investigators sought to get the FBI involved at least twice as their undercover investigation of Jose Pimentel unfolded, the officials said. Both times, the FBI concluded that he wasn't a serious threat, they said.
The FBI concluded that 27-year-old Pimentel "didn't have the predisposition or the ability to do anything on his own," one of the officials said.
The officials were not authorized to speak about the case and spoke on condition of anonymity. The FBI's New York office declined to comment on Monday. New York City authorities said that the FBI was involved in the case, but did not specifically say they declined to pursue the charges.
"We just believed that we couldn't let it go any further. We had to act," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.
New York authorities said Pimentel was motivated by terrorist propaganda and resentment of U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. Authorities said police had to move quickly to arrest Pimentel on Saturday - because he was approximately one hour from being able to detonate explosives.
"He was in fact putting this bomb together," Kelly said. "He was drilling holes and it would have been not appropriate for us to let him walk out the door with that bomb."
The suspect was being held after his arraignment on numerous terrorism-related charges. His lawyer Joseph Zablocki said his client's behavior leading up to the arrest was not that of a conspirator trying to conceal some violent scheme. Zablocki said Pimentel was public about his activities and was not trying to hide anything.
"I don't believe that this case is nearly as strong as the people believe," Zablocki said. "He (Pimentel) has this very public online profile. ... This is not the way you go about committing a terrorist attack."
read more: http://mnstr.me/ry3Elx
11/22/2011 01:19:00 PM SgtJim No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome
Acording to local governmental officials in eastern Afghanistan, at least 9 militants including a local Taliban commander was killed following an air raid by NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in eastern Kunar province on Monday night.
A spokesman for the 201 Selab national army commandment Gen Sher Aqa said, NATO forces destroyed a safe haven of the Taliban militants in Mangoi district of eastern Kunar province.
Taliban militants group fighting the Afghan government and coalition forces confirmed the death of the local Taliban commander along with his three fighters.
The Taliban group also claimed that a number of civilians were also killed following the air raid by international coalition in Mangoi district.
NATO-led International security assistance force officials yet to comment regarding the claims of the Taliban for civilian casualties.
11/22/2011 01:11:00 PM SgtJim No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome
According to local officials in eastern Afghanistan, at least three Afghan civilians were killed following a roadside bomb explosion in eastern Laghman province on Tuesday morning.
The officials further added, the incident took place around 10:00 am local time in Pul-e-Chinchar area of eastern Laghman province after a civilian vehicle struck with a roadside bomb in the area.
According to local security officials, at least three other civilians including women and children were also injured during the explosion.
District chief for Alingar Syed Pacha confirming the incident said, there are no exact details of the casualties as a result of today’s explosion.
No group including the Taliban militants have so far claimed responsibility behind the incident.
11/22/2011 01:07:00 PM SgtJim No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome
Image via WikipediaTuesday, November 22, 2011 –
Pakistani security officials on Moday said, gunmen ambushed a paramilitary convoy in southwestern Baluchistan province, killing 14 soldiers.
Military spokesman Murtaza Beg said, attackers fired rockets at the camp and opened fire on a patrol vehicle in the southwestern province of Balochistan.
Murtaza Beg further added, a senior military official was among those killed, Beg said, and eight troops were injured in the attack.
He also said, a number of the militants were also killed during the clashes.
No one had claimed responsibility for the attack Monday, but authorities suspect militants fighting against security forces in the area are responsible.
Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest and most sparsely populated province, is rich in minerals and has vast untapped deposits of oil, gas, copper and gold.
As well as a separatist insurgency, the province has also been affected by sectarian violence and Taliban suicide attacks.
11/22/2011 12:52:00 PM SgtJim No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Private Thomas Lake, from 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment, was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday 20 November 2011.
Private Lake was taking part in a patrol to reassure the local population in the Jamal Kowi area of the Nahr-e Saraj district of central Helmand when he was caught in an explosion. He was airlifted to the field hospital at Camp Bastion where he was declared killed in action.
Private Thomas Christopher Lake
Private Lake, aged 29, from Watford, joined the Army in November 2009 and passed out of training in May 2010, joining 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (1 PWRR), known as 'The 'Tigers', in Germany shortly afterwards.
Upon joining the battalion he attended a number of courses - most notably the Infantry Assault Pioneers' Course and the Team Medics' Course, and he recently completed part one of the arduous Snipers' Course in Brecon, Wales.
He joined B Company and deployed to Canada with 4 Platoon in July 2010, and he stayed with that platoon for the rest of his training and subsequent deployment to Afghanistan. While new to the battalion, he was quickly recognised as an extremely competent and reliable soldier by his peers and his chain of command. Fit and confident, he demonstrated the ability to take on all manner of tasks and succeed.
Private Lake leaves behind a loving mother, Carol. He will be missed dearly by his friends and family and all those who knew him.
read more: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/PrivateThomasChristopherLakeKilledInAfghanistan.htm
11/22/2011 12:41:00 PM SgtJim No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome
ISAF Joint Command - Afghsnistan
For Immediate Release
KABUL, Afghanistan (Nov. 22, 2011) — A combined Afghan and coalition security force conducted an operation in search of a Taliban leader in Nahr-e Saraj district, Helmand province,Tuesday.
The leader directs the placement of roadside bombs and plans attacks against coalition forces.
An individual armed with an AK-47 assault rifle displayed hostile intent toward the security force during the operation. Assessing an immediate threat, the security force fired, killing the individual.
Multiple suspected insurgents were detained during the operation.
In other International Security Assistance Force news throughout Afghanistan:
A combined Afghan and coalition security force detained one suspected insurgent during an operation in search of a Taliban leader in Nahr-e Saraj district, Helmand province, yesterday. The leader plans suicide bomb attacks against Afghan and coalition forces in region.
In Qalat district, Zabul province, a combined Afghan and coalition security force detained one suspected insurgent during an operation in search of a Taliban leader yesterday. The leader directs the placement of roadside bombs and plans attacks in Zabul province.
A combined Afghan and coalition security force detained multiple suspected insurgents during a security operation in search of a Taliban leader in Panjwa’i district, Kandahar province, yesterday. The leader purchases supplies for insurgent fighters and plans attacks against Afghan forces.
A Taliban leader was captured by a combined Afghan and coalition security force during an operation in Sayyidabad district, Wardak province, yesterday. The leader planned attacks in Kabul province. One additional suspected insurgent was detained during the operation.
In Sabari district, Khost province, a combined Afghan and coalition security force detained two suspected insurgents during an operation in search of a Haqqani network facilitator yesterday. The facilitator manages finances for insurgents in Sabari district and coordinates roadside bomb attacks against Afghan forces.
A combined Afghan and coalition security force detained numerous suspected insurgents during an operation in search of a Haqqani network leader in Lajah-Ahmad Khel district, Paktiya province, yesterday. The leader coordinates with other insurgent leaders and fighters to plan large-scale attacks throughout the region.
A Haqqani network leader was captured by a combined Afghan and coalition security force during an operation in Zarghun Shahr district, Paktika province, yesterday. The leader coordinated roadside bomb attacks against Afghan and coalition forces in the district.
11/22/2011 10:45:00 AM SgtJim No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome
U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
|IMMEDIATE RELEASE||No. 969-11 |
November 21, 2011
Statement by Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta on Supercommittee Negotiations
The failure of the Congressional Supercommittee to reach an agreement on deficit reduction is a setback for the country’s efforts to achieve fiscal responsibility while protecting our national security. If Congress fails to act over the next year, the Department of Defense will face devastating, automatic, across-the-board cuts that will tear a seam in the nation’s defense.
Despite the danger posed by sequestration, I join the President in his call for Congress to avoid an easy way out of this crisis. Congress cannot simply turn off the sequester mechanism, but instead must pass deficit reduction at least equal to the $1.2 trillion it was charged to pass under the Budget Control Act.
In my four decades involved with public service, I have never been more concerned about the ability of Congress to forge common-sense solutions to the nation’s pressing problems. Since becoming Secretary of Defense, I have made it clear that the Department has a responsibility to help the country get its fiscal house in order -- and we are doing that. I have been leading a strategy-driven effort to achieve the more than $450 billion in cuts over 10 years required by the Budget Control Act. We will move ahead with that plan.
But as Secretary of Defense, my primary responsibility is to protect the security of the nation. The half-trillion in additional cuts demanded by sequester would lead to a hollow force incapable of sustaining the missions it is assigned. If implemented, sequester would also jeopardize our ability to provide our troops and their families with the benefits and the support they have been promised. Our troops deserve better, and our nation demands better.