Thursday, December 8, 2011

DOD Identifies Army Casualties

DOD Identifies Army Casualties

            The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of three soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.
            They died Dec. 3, in Wardak province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their unit with an improvised explosive device.  They were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, Fort Bliss, Texas.
            Killed were:
            Sgt. 1st Class Clark A. Corley Jr., 35, of Oxnard, Calif.,
            Spc. Ryan M. Lumley, 21, of Lakeland, Fla., and
            Spc. Thomas J. Mayberry, 21, of Springville, Calif.
            For more information the media may contact the First Armored Division public affairs by email at or by phone at 915-744-8404.

Must See - Double Amputee Soldier Jumps with his Military Working Dog (+video)

noticed by Blackfive,
words by Brandon at
video by 2004vmc from youtube

"Here’s a great working dog video with a guy that lost both his feet and is back at work.
“I am still rocking! For those who haven’t heard, I was blown up, with my MWD, Axe, Feb 17th of this year. I lost both of my feet, and was back to work in July. …”
If there’s any doubters out there about the bond between man’s best friend, this video is living proof.  Also, look how happy that dog is after the sky dive!

Read more:

Women to be allowed to serve on submarines

ID: DN-SC-94-01949 Service Depicted: Navy A po...Image via Wikipedia
Women are to be allowed to serve on submarines for the first time in the Royal Navy's history, the Secretary of State for Defence Philip Hammond announced today.
The decision comes following an 18-month review conducted by the Royal Navy looking at the legal, operational, health, social, technical and financial issues of allowing women to serve on submarines.
Women had previously been excluded from submariner roles due to concerns about higher levels of carbon dioxide in a submarine atmosphere being a risk to female health. But recent research by the Institute of Naval Medicine showed that these risks were unfounded and that there were no medical reasons for excluding women from service on submarines.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said:
"I am pleased that women will now have the same opportunity to serve on board our submarines, carrying out vital tasks maintaining Britain's defences around the clock, across the world.
"The Royal Navy has always been at the forefront of innovation, and this decision represents another step in its distinguished tradition of recognising the contribution of its people and making the very best use of the talent from which it can recruit."
The first female submariners are expected to take up their posts towards the end of 2013. Initially this will be a small number of female officers - volunteers who will begin training next year for service on the Vanguard Class of Trident submarines. The first female ratings will be recruited and trained from 2014.

Women will also be able to serve on Astute Class submarines from 2016 when the necessary modifications to on-board accommodation have been made.
The Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Charles Montgomery, said:
"Our primary objective in the Royal Navy is maintaining our operational effectiveness both now and in the future.
"This carefully considered decision will allow the Submarine Service to draw on the widest range of talent and skills of our people - those in service and those yet to join. It will therefore enable us to further consolidate our operational success, and it will give our women the same opportunities as men to enjoy a fulfilling and rewarding career in the Submarine Service."
Currently, more than nine per cent of Royal Navy personnel are female, approximately 3,420. Women have been serving on board Royal Navy ships since 1990.

(c) MOD.UK

Enhanced by Zemanta

Explosion targets district intelligence chief in Uruzgan

Thursday, December 08, 2011 –
According to local authorities in southern Afghanistan, at least 8 people were injured following a roadside bomb explosion in southern Uruzgan province.

The officials further added, the incident took place late Wednesday afternoon in Herawood district of southern Uruzgan province with an aim to target the district intelligence chief Ghulam Moeuddin.

According to security officials, the incident took place after explosives packed in a motorcycle went off in a market in this district.

District police chief for Herawood Gen Omer confirming the incident said, Ghulam Moeuddin and two of his bodyguards were injured following the incident.

In the meantime a spokesman for Uruzgan provincial police chief Farid Ayel said, at least five civilians were also injured during the incident.

No group including the Taliban militants have so far claimed responsibility behind the incident.

Taliban militants group frequently used improvised explosive device and roadside bombs to target Afghan and coalition forces.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Dec. 08., 2011. - ISAF Joint Command Morning Operational Update

KABUL, Afghanistan — In Zurmat district, Paktiya province, a combined Afghan and coalition security force discovered a drug cache during a patrol today.

The cache consisted of approximately 10,000 pounds (4545 kg) of hashish. All of the drugs were destroyed at the scene, and no civilians were harmed during the operation.

In other International Security Assistance Force news throughout Afghanistan:


Today, a combined Afghan and coalition security force conducted an operation in search of an Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan leader in Chahar Darah district, Konduz province. The leader trains insurgents to construct and use roadside bombs in attacks. Additionally, he recruits suicide bombers and plans attacks throughout Chahar Darah district. The security force also detained multiple suspected insurgents during the operation.

In Nad ‘Ali district, Helmand province, a combined Afghan and coalition security force conducted an operation in search of a Taliban leader today. The leader directs a roadside bomb attack cell in Nad ‘Ali district and conducts attacks against coalition forces. He is also involved in multiple kidnappings in the area. The security force detained multiple suspected insurgents during the operation.


Today, A Haqqani facilitator was captured during an operation led by a combined Afghanand coalition security force in Pul-e ‘Alam district, Logar province. The facilitator coordinated roadside bomb attacks against coalition forces and supplied Haqqani fighters for attacks in Pul-e ‘Alam district. One additional suspected insurgent was detained.

A combined Afghan and coalition security force captured a Haqqani leader during an operation in Bak district, Khost province, today. The leader conducted mortar, rocket, grenade and small-arms attacks in Bak district. The security force confiscated multiple weapons and detained four additional suspected insurgents during the operation.

A combined Afghan and coalition security force discovered a weapons cache while conducting a patrol in Khost district, Logar province, yesterday. The cache consisted of 10 82 mm rounds, two anti-personnel mines, one rocket-propelled grenade, 100 rounds of machine gun ammunition and one RPG motor. All of the items were destroyed and no civilians were harmed or property damaged during the operation.

Search this blog