Monday, February 6, 2012

Haqqani Network leader detained in Khost province

Afghan and NATO-led International Coalition security forces captured a Haqqani Network leader in eastern Khost province.

The operation was conducted by Afghan and NATO and International Security Assistance Force in Mangso district of eastern Khost province two nights back.

According to provincial ISAF officials, a number of militant suspects were also detained during the operation.

International Security Assistance Force Media office in eastern Khost province said, the operation was conducted based on an intelligence report where a senior anti-government militant commander was detained.

The officials further added, the detained militatns commander was involved in plotting and carrying out insurgency activities in this province.

ISAF officials also said, Afghan and coalition security forces seized some weapons and ammunitions during the operation.

Anti-government armed militants group yet to comment regarding the operation.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Weapons and ammunitions seized in Baghlan province

Officials in Afghan National Directorate for Security in northern Baghlan province following a press release announced to seize some weapons and ammunitions from Wardakha and Cheshma-e-Sher areas of this province.

The source further added, the weapons and ammunitions which were seized based on intelligence report included 2 improvised explosive device, 2 barrels of explosives, 13 rounds of RPG-7 missiles along with fake vehicle registration plates and 500 rounds of AK-47 assault rifle ammos.

Provincial intelligence officials following the press release further added, the two improvised explosive device which were planted by armed militants to target Afghan and coalition security forces were seized and defused by Afghan intelligence forces however Afghan security forces have not detained any suspect in this regard so far.

Afghan National Directorate for Security forces have seized various weapons and ammunitions caches during the past month.

Recently Afghan security forces seized at least 1 ton of explosives and ammunitions following a military operation at Jelga-ha and Khenjan districts.

Report by Ajmal Omeri, Baghlan province.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Helicopter crashes in eastern Afghanistan

For Immediate Release

KABUL, Afghanistan (Feb. 06) – An International Security Assistance Force helicopter crashed in eastern Afghanistan today.

There were no fatalities and the crew has been safely recovered to a nearby forward operating base. The site has been secured and initial reports indicate there was no enemy activity in the area. ISAF is assessing the circumstances to determine the cause of the crash.
Enhanced by Zemanta

About 100 Malian soldiers flee to Niger to escape from Touareg rebels' attacks

Niger River map (basin included). Retraced int...
Image via Wikipedia
NIAMEY, Feb. 6 (Xinhua) -- About 100 Malian soldiers are taking refuge in Niger after fleeing from the attacks carried out by the Touareg rebels who are fighting under the banner of the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad (MNLA).

These soldiers entered the Nigerien territory without weapons in company of their families, through the Nigerien military post of Chingor (about 200 km north of Niamey), following an attack on their barracks at Menaka in northern Mali.

On Saturday, Niger's National Defense Minister Karidjo Mahamadou visited these Malian soldiers.

A Nigerien military source said the visit "was meant to boost the morale of our Malian brothers, a few hours before they are returned to their country, in company of their families."

A source from the United Nations bureau for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that about 100,000 families have crossed the Niger-Malian border to take refuge in Niger's Ouallam and Tillabery villages due to the continued fighting in Northern Mali.

Most of them have fled from the Malian localities of Aderboukane and Menaka which have been targeted by MNLA attacks.

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 Afghan children killed and injured in Uruzgan explosion

According to local authorities in southern Afghanistan, at least 5 Afghan children were killed and injured following an explosion in southern Uruzgan province.

The officials further added, the incident took place in Dehrawood district on Sunday evening killing an Afghan children and injuring 4 others.

Gen. Gulab Khan Director of the counter-criminal department in southern Uruzgan province said, the incident took place after explosive packed in a motorcycle went off.

Gen. Khan further added, the main target of the explosion was a member of the Uruzgan provincial council.

No group including the Taliban militants have so far claimed responsibility behind the incident.

Armed militants groups in Afghanistan frequently use improvised explosive device and roadside bombs to target Afghan and NATO troops and Afghan government officials which normally leads to civilian casualties.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Search this blog