|Districts of Farah. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
According to local police officials said a number of the gunmen were looking to enter the court building and clashes between Afghan security forces and the militants are still going on in the area.
Provincial governor spokesman Abdul Rahman Zhwandai confirming the report said clashes between Afghan security forces and militants are still going.
In the meantime provincial security chief Gen. Aqa Noor Kintoz said, around five gunmen in Afghan army uniform attacked the provincial attorney general office. Four of the gunmen were killed and the fifth gunman is still fighting with the Afghan security forces.
He said two of the gunmen detonated explosives packed in a Ford Ranger vehicle near the provincial government compound.
Mr. Aqa Noor also added that the remaining three gunmen entered the court building after the explosion, killing at least 11.
Provincial hospital Abdul Jabar Shaiq said around 70 people including government employees injured following the incident have been taken to the hospital so far.
Taliban group claimed responsibility behind the incident.
By Ghanizada - 03 Apr 2013, 9:59 am
By Mohammad Humayoon Zaheen Apr 3, 2013 - 14:02
Farah court attack toll mounts to 44
FARAH CITY (PAN): Dozens of people were killed and more than 90 others wounded in a well-coordinated insurgent assault on a crowded court in western Farah province on Wednesday, officials said.
Thirty-four civilians, six army soldiers and four policemen were killed in the assault that wounded 91, the interior ministry in Kabul said. Nine attackers were also killed, according to a ministry spokesman.
Seventy-one civilians, 13 policemen and soldiers, two judges and one prisoner are among the injured. Farah Civil Hospital Director Dr. Abdul Hakim Rassouli confirmed receiving the bodies of a policeman, a soldier and two civilians.
But Abdur Rahman Zhwandai, the governor’s spokesman, said three policemen, one soldier and three residents were killed in the audacious bomb-gun attack on the building that house several other departments.
Lt. Gen. Aqa Noor Kentos, the provincial police chief, said the attackers in Afghan army uniforms. Two militants, who got down an Afghan army pick-up, were killed when their own explosives went off, said the police chief.
Four other bombers rushed into the building after the blast. During a subsequent clash with security forces, three of the attackers were shot dead and a third wounded, he said.
Some Taliban detainees were due to appear before the court, he said, indicating the storming of the court was aimed to free the insurgents.
Mohammad Amin, an area resident, said the attackers detonated their explosives-laden vehicle. A short while after the explosion, they forced their way into the compound.
As usual, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesman for the group, Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, said 20 government officials had been killed and many others wounded.